Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 10:19:03 EST

>>>On 11/4/01 @ 8:52 AM, Sushi wrote:
>>>
>>>The Quadras up through the 8100's were also known,
>>>except the 660av Pizza Box, as the bloody knuckles
>>>machines. You would usually scrape off some skin
>>>upgrading memory since you had to remove the entire
>>>motherboard -- and all the connectors as well. I
>>>used to help a VID office with their
>>
>>On 11/5/01 @ 6:47 PM, Jon Glass wrote:
>>
>>My 650 is simple to upgrade memory on. For one, I
>>don't have to remove anything if I don't mind rubbing
>>knuckles, but if I don't want to do that, I simply
>>remove a couple of screws and the whole stack of drives
>>swings over to the side, and I have open access to
>>the motherboard, and free access to both DRAM and
>>VRAM. I've never gotten a bloody knuckle opening my
>>650, oh, and it takes only one screw to take the
>>top off. Nice engineering, in my opinion... :-)

Uh, John, I was refering to the tower Quadras. Forgot about all those
other Quadra desktop versions. Sorry. I had an 840av, and used a 660av
-- the two best Quadras for AV work.

Here is what I wrote on 11/5/01 @ 12:07 AM in a separate message to
clarify my comment:

>On a side note, the bloody knuckle comment was aimed
>at the Mac tower case Quadras, and then the PPC 8100.
>With the 8500 and newer designs, the tower Macs seemed
>easier to open up.
>
>The desktop Quadras were easy to open up compared to
>the tower Quadras.
>
>Sure a far cry from what we have today with the G3 and
>G4 towers. Now they are a whole lot easier and more
>fun to open up. Don't even have to disconnect the
>peripherals. Now that is nice.

Again, if you worked on the tower Quadras much, at one time or another,
you would get a knuckle, or two. If you only worked on one or two, maybe
not. But when you kept a fleet of them working, the odds were against
you.

Take adding memory. Basically, you had to remove everything including
the motherboard to add RAM memory. That's a lot of connectors to contend
with, and removing the motherboard itself was a pain.

The desktop models OTOH, were entirely a different design which was much
easier to work on.

Sushi