Re: [NTLK] Newted Community Site Downtime

From: Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:09:23 EST

In a previous message, doppler typed vigorously:

>> The Newted Community server runs on a Cobalt Qube 2. After paying a visit
>> to the Cobalt support site a while ago, I discovered that the Qube is 13
>> patches and a major OS update behind the times. Oops.
>
>why does it need to be upgraded if it wrkz?
>i thought the server was doing just fine.

The server was doing fine.

But...

There were several security patches that needed to be installed. If I
hadn't installed the new software, there was the lingering potential for
the server not to do so fine. The installation of the various updates and
patches went smoothly. Nothing burped, nothing crashed, and nothing was
reset to its default configuration. I think we had a total of fifteen
minutes downtime all weekend.

See, there was nothing to worry about...

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/