[NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 03:03:19 EST

        I back up my Newton using a Farallon Ethernet card to a Mac at
work, using the good old Appletalk over Ethernet trick. It's worked fine
for years.

        But they just gave my Mac a new IP address and put it on a new
subnet, physically changing its router. I had them move the Ethernet
connection my Newt uses to the same router. However, my Newt still
remembers my Mac's appletalk name as being in the old Appletalk zone,
it seems. It times out trying to connect (of course). Then I tap
on the diamond next to the Mac's name on the Newton's docking connect
slip, and choose "Other computer". It goes out looking for Macs, doesn't
find any, times out, puts up the "Change Zone" button.

        So far so good.

        I tap on the "Change Zone" button and get a list of all the zones,
including the new one. I tap on the new zone, and immediately my Mac's
Appletalk host name pops up. I tap on that, close the slip (um, should
the slip close automatically? It doesn't.), and another attempt is made
to connect...which times out. And it turns out the Newton still shows the
old zone.

        Repeat until crazed.

        Arrrrgh. How do I get around this? What soup slots should I delete?
How can I make it forget that blessed old zone?

Mike O'Brien