Re: [NTLK] AW: Transistors vs. tubes

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 20:28:29 EST

As far as everything I've read is concerned, when pushed to their
limit, transistor amplifiers tend to clip the tops of the audio
waveforms; the sound is 'harsh.'

Tubes, on the other hand, tend to gracefully 'round off' the tops of
the wave forms; the sound is distorted but a lot more listenable than
the clipped transistor sound.

Guitar amps tended to be used closer to full power than other amps;
the distortion was more common than not. As a result, a 'lot' of
recordings were made with the distorted sound of overdriven amps.
IIRC, there are distortion boxes that intentionally re-create the
distortion of an overdriven tube guitar amp!

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com