Re: [NTLK] RichReader source code

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 21:07:25 EST

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:

> I just happened to stumble across some source code for decoding
> RTF, HTML, and PDF documents (converting to Palm Docs it appears).
>
> http://users.rcn.com/arenamk/RichReader.html
>
> Would it be possible to port this code to the Newton?

The code looks to be merely an amalgam of other free tools (such as xpdf
for reading PDF documents) that generates Palmdocs with embedded
formatting codes, which are then read by the reader software on the Palm.

We can already handle HTML documents with Newt's Cape. RTF to HTML isn't
very hard - there's a number of simple Perl scripts that take RTF and
replace the important RTF codes with their equivalents in HTML. This
could easily be done (in theory) as a plugin for SimpleMail/Newt's Cape.
DOC and PDF are another matter - they're much more complex binary formats.