Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Ken Whitcomb (ken_at_imageguild.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 21:51:23 EST

While likely that you've already confirmed this, be certain that the port
you are connected to is patched into either a 10BT or 10/100BT port in the
switch. I had to ask to have one of mine switched as they were both on 100BT
ports.

They changed this on me without notification. If appletalk has been disabled
on the printers on your network, ask politely or find an ally in Tech
support to have it enabled on the printer closest to you. Many employers
have draconian policies about angering the gods in that department. While
you may have the ability to turn on Appletalk, there's nothing that ITNazis
hate more than "chatty" Appletalk devices on "their" precious networks. None
of them have ever been able to define what they mean by "chatty" (although I
do know, I just like to find out if THEY know what they're talking about,
invariably just smoke and mirrors to keep the villagers mystified).
Appletalk is always vilifiled. The fact is that it has many redeeming
qualities that remain unique to itself. Some members on this list can
explain it much better than I.

Ken Whitcomb