Re: [NTLK] Star Trek: The Off-Topic Digression

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:03:43 EST

on 11/7/01 3:52 PM, Alexandre Enkerli at aenkerli_at_indiana.edu wrote:

> Man!
> I got behind on NTLK for a couple of days so I missed the beginning of
> this OT thread. How did it get started? Please tell me it's not because
> of my post on the "ideal PDA"!!!
>
> BTW, for those who don't know, McGill University now has a hall named
> after Shatner. Apparently, it started out as a joke by the student
> association and got accepted by the administration.
> So, as a Montrealer, I guess I should vote for Kirk...
>
> Anyway, I stand by my wish for a fully voice-controlled PDA.
>
> Alex, in Montreal

As one of Kirk's (Shartner) supporter, I should visit this hall the next
time I'm in Montreal!

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs as
a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many hackers
still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada (depending
on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost anything
that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a
language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is almost
too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from
C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has said
in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207),
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get
out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]