[NTLK] Possible use of vCalendar to communicate dates

From: John Whitehead (john_at_modestine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:48:42 EST

There is a facility in Entourage that allows one to invite another to a
meeting via email. The same functionality is available in Outlook. It uses
the vCalendar standard (though this has been enhanced to iCalendar - see
www.imc.org/rfc2445 ).

If I were to invite myself to the forthcoming London UK NUG meeting I would
generate an email containing the following (when viewed as source, ignoring
header and footer type material):

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Entourage Mac 9.0 MIMEDIR//EN
METHOD:REQUEST
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20011113T200000
DTEND:20011113T220000
SUMMARY:London UK NUG
LOCATION:Imperial College
DTSTAMP:20011107T091900
UID:B80EACEC.1A40F%x_at_x.x
ORGANIZER:MAILTO:john_at_modestine.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;CN="John
Whitehead":MAILTO:john.whitehead_at_mdal.co.uk
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

If I enter the same information manually into the Newton, using MoreInfo,
and email it I get a message containing this

Meeting: London UK NUG at Imperial College