Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Ken Whitcomb (ken_at_imageguild.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:02:57 EST

Ah, and herein lies that line about beauty being relative to one's position.
Just as a mechanic, an engineer, and a driver all view (and judge) an engine
based on different criteria, so too do the analogs in the computer world!
When people that design and implement network environments work with the
users (rather than the people that sign P.O.s) to do their work, then the
work can be based not upon what they've seen implemented in the past or read
in a test prep. Course or book, and rather be suited to what the users
actually need!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've been lied to by I.T.
people about what is possible, and what the rationale for them refusing to
accommodate my requests is. It's often as if an organization exists FOR the
network. I'm all for maintaining the network in a state that is best suited
for the general good of the organization, I'm very opposed to defining that
within the career-inflating purposes of the endless train of IT staff that
are looking to add something to their resume at our organization's expense.

Tech support and IT are the only groups that I know of that have this
magical ability to justify more funding based on what a poor job their doing
with their current budget.

And yes, this grudge I'm carrying does have pertinence to the list as one of
my problems has been getting accomodation for little green friend in the
workplace. My guess is that many other people on this list that want to get
Appletalk enabled on even one printer on their corporate network need an act
of Congress for this indulgence.

Brute force? Perhaps, but I'm convinced that good topology and switching
design not only create an Appletalk tolerant environment but one that's
healthier for all protocols running. Others certainly know more than me.

It bears mentioning that early Apple netorking schemes were named the Apple
"Internet", a name that fell into disuse in the early/mid '90s as some other
thing apparently used the same moniker.

Ken Whitcomb