Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 18:30:33 EST

Good Googly Moogly!

  Why does everyone think I am attacking them or why do they feel a need to
get defensive.

  I am completely platform agnostic.

  I code on a Fujitsu laptop with Delphi 5 C/S.

  I have a P3 933 I use for a gaming system.

  I use a G4 to do EVERYTHING else.

  And I use a Newton for a PDA.

  My point is that I can not stand people that say that any company is the
worst plague to befall the earth but one product they make is the absolute
best. And then they tell everyone how much that one company sucks. This
keeps everyone that they are talking to away from that one company.

  The company I am specifically mentioning is Apple.

  And another point is that when damn near everyone speaks ill of Apple then
end result is that Apple will be out of business. And then where will style
and elegance be in computers? Answer, it won't.

  Sure you can say that Sony does some things right. As does Intel and
Palm. And even microsoft. Well, not microsoft. The first thing ms makes
that doesn't suck will be when they create a vacuum cleaner.

  I'm not going to get in a point-to-point argument about other companies
how how some people like their products and some people don't.

  But quickly, look at your examples. Pentium? You don't interact with
that. Games? You don't interact with the OS, same with Palm's syncing.

  I hate windows because of the interface and the way windows works. I
personally don't care what hardware runs under OS X. I don't interact with
the hardware on a daily basis. Everyone who loves the mac, loves it because
of the interface. Not because the machine is blue, or beige, or silver.

  A small sidebar here, a perfect example is the computer advice I give to
friends. NEVER skimp on the display, mouse, and keyboard. These are the
parts that you touch and look at every second. If you get a cheap display
then using the computer will not be enjoyable. If you get a cheap mouse or
keyboard then as you touch them, you will slowly transfer the cheapness you
touch to the cheapness of the computer. Why do you think Apple spends so
much time and effort on the display, mouse, and keyboard.

  As for Palm being #1, big deal. I could not care less. Just because it
is #1 does not mean that it is the best. The New Kinds on the Block have
the top 2 most popular songs ever. I remember reading a webpage that spoke
of such things that were #1 in popularity.

  I am listening now to a Flim & the BB's CD (or actually MP3). I really
could not care less if they sold anymore that the 1 CD that I own. But I do
mention them in a positive way whenever the conversation goes that way.

  It just seems that it is now fashionable to bash Apple. If you want Apple
to create a new PDA, write them. Every week. If Apple gets enough emails,
then they will listen. Tell others how cool the Newton is. Create a
groundswell. Apple is not in the PDA market now because there is no maoney
to be make there. You don't think microsoft is not losing money hand over
fist? Of course they are. But they have the deepesdt pockets in the
industry and they can outlast Palm and Handspring.

  But telling everyone how Apple sucks is only going to hurt Apple and will
ensure that no Newton is created. And it turns new Apple users away before
they even have a chance to look at Apple. And eventually could kill Apple.

David