Re: [NTLK] MAD port

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 04:10:34 EST

> From: Josh Burker <senorwences_at_mac.com>
>
> On Tuesday, November 6, 2001, at 06:55 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> You'll also need a way to wrap up an MP3 file and store it on the
>> Newton. Have I got a present for you: Steve Weyer put quite a lot of
>> effort into making Java tools which bundle up binary stuff (images,
>> class files, etc.) into packages. I imagine he could easily make a
>> Java-based stuffer for you. It comes with a nice API for accessing the
>> data as well.
>>
> A Waba app like this might be particularly useful as NPDS works its way
> towards version 3; a simple way to package binaries for use on the
> Newton, either being served as graphics, or as downloads. Paul Guyot
> has an NPDS component to get binaries on the Newton, but you have to
> recompile in NTK for each different binary you want on the Newton.
> Something very simple and flexible for bundling binaries might prove
> useful on many fronts.

actually the "wababin" tools are on desktop (and in regular Java, not Waba)

if what you want to do is bundle binaries files into a .pkg directly on the
Newton, probably the easiest way is for me to provide my NewtPack extension.
this is what NewtDevEnv uses to create apps, Newt's Cape uses to create
saved books, ModSaver plugin uses on .mod files to create .pkg for ModPlayer
[this last is probably closest to what you want I'd guess]

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com