Re: [NTLK] New Appletalk zone has zapped me

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 09:00:52 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 11/8/01 1:42 AM, the entity known as R Pickett
at emerson_at_hayseed.net conveyed the following:

> 60 seconds is a lot better, but still would only scale to
> 80-100 machines before you start running into collision problems again.

Just curious, but how is the estimate of 80-100 machines arrived at? That
is, if it's something that permits a brief explanation.

> I'll see if I can find a link to the UI/design documents that specified
> that the Chooser needed to show all resources within 5 seconds that was
> part of the original AppleTalk / LocalTalk design spec.

I wonder if that's 5 seconds from opening Chooser. If the OS is keeping
track of the broadcasts, then that doesn't have to necessarily mean
broadcasts every five seconds.

- Eric.