Re: [NTLK] Webxpress question.-Reply-To

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:47:05 EST

on 11/8/01 10:53 AM, jeff kisseloff at j.kisseloff_at_verizon.net wrote:

> I'm not using my desktop mac, and since I don't have my newton always
> hooked up to my
> phoneline, I'm not interested in regularly scheduled collections. Just
> when I want to download a site, I want to do it. I tried it again
> several times last night and got the connection slip, but if it did
> store what I downloaded, I just have no
> idea where it is. I hate feeling like an idiot. I get that enough with
> my work.

That's because on the Newton, data is saved in "soup", which is a unique
storage approach. You don't have the notion of "file" on a Newton. A soup
could be thought as a database, where you have multiple records in it. As
opposed to a standard database, though, all records can have different
fields from each other. So, it's not always easy to look for something in
the Newton persistence subsystem...

-Laurent.

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or
electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial
knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that
they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video
board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year
2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and
CompUSA.