Re: [NTLK] AW: ser-oo1 vanish - PCBMan departure

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 13:30:02 EST

on 11/9/01 9:52 AM, Johannes Wolf at jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl wrote:

> This is really really bad.
> My first idea was that somebody has treated our honored Mr. PCBMan so bad that
> he suddenly disappeared in such a way.
> But I fully agree with Robert that he should have left the web site, maybe
> adding an information that he will no longer provide the service.
> And then he could make the SER-001 related design documents available to the
> Newt community.
> WTH has caused him to behave so?
> Maybe Calvin knows something more about that?

I agree. It just looks as if he wanted to punish the whole community. If
not, then why removing his helpful web pages? I can understand that he wants
to stop working on any Newton-related stuff, but removing the Newton section
from his web site? Something we don't know must have happened. The only
reason I would see him removing his web pages would be that someone
threatened him of suing him for some obscured reasons, or to hold it
accountable regarding the material that was exposed on his web pages...

-Laurent.

feep /feep/: 1. n. The soft electronic `bell' sound of a display terminal
(except for a VT-52); a beep (in fact, the microcomputer world seems to
prefer beep). 2. vi. To cause the display to make a feep sound. ASR-33s (the
original TTYs) do not feep; they have mechanical bells that ring. Alternate
forms: beep, `bleep', or just about anything suitably onomatopoeic. (Jeff
MacNelly, in his comic strip "Shoe", uses the word `eep' for sounds made by
computer terminals and video games; this is perhaps the closest written
approximation yet.) The term `breedle' was sometimes heard at SAIL, where
the terminal bleepers are not particularly soft (they sound more like the
musical equivalent of a raspberry or Bronx cheer; for a close approximation,
imagine the sound of a Star Trek communicator's beep lasting for five
seconds). The `feeper' on a VT-52 has been compared to the sound of a '52
Chevy stripping its gears.