Re: [NTLK] Newton Vs HP

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 19:26:57 EST

Yes, I got an HP 620LX (they can be had at ebay for
about $100). I gave it to my manager. I would say that
this is probably one of the best clamshell WinCE
devices out there. The keyboard has a wonderful
feedback (like all HP devices) The screen is bright
and clear.
The only problem is that if you don't have the upgrade
that brings the machine to modern standards, then it's
not worth it. And that upgrade while rare, can still
be purchased from 3rd party sellers for about
$200-300. The standard WinCE applications apply and
the wonderful engineering of HP is quite evident. It
has a full size PC card and a CF card slot. IRDA and
very good docking (to another wintell machine) that
will interface to your existing briefcase on your
desktop.
The RAM is limited, but with the upgrade is quite
usable. Don't bother to do any HWR with the device
though...like all clamshell PDAs, it's next to
impossible to get comfortable without having a place
to rest your hand. I have found that the pen for
clamshell devices is basically used in place of the
mouse...nothing more...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Guy MITTAUX <guy.mittaux_at_free.fr> wrote:

> I just saw an ad about the HP 620 LX pocket and I
> was wondering if someone had
> the occasion to test it and could compare it with
> the newton. or let me know
> what you think about it.
> It has tactile color screen and released in 1998 but
> no HWR which is one of
> the unbeatable for the Newton.
>
> And the worst, it's running (the HP) win CE, bad
> point.
>
> But what else?
>

> Guy MITTAUX

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...