Re: [NTLK] Not really Re: Platform crap...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 03:51:23 EST

on 11/9/01 1:24 PM, Steven M. Scotten at splicer_at_paroxysm.com wrote:

> Really? I've always found one tap of the PG-DN key to be a lot faster
> than mousetothescrollbarthenclickanddrag.

_That_ is faster, but using the arrow keys to move one character or line at
a time isn't, which was what I was describing. I think also, you have to
think of the application. For instance, if you are mainly looking at a
document, you will probably be using the mouse, but if you are typing, you
want the keyboard shortcut.

In my opinion, a good user interface will give the user several, clear
options for performing the same task, and will, in a manner of speaking,
conform to the user's habits.

Now, to bring this back on topic, :-) How does the Newton rate in this? I'm
not sure, but somehow, as you said, people from several different computing
backgrounds find the Newton compelling. Why? What specifically is it that
attracts people to the Newton when other platforms have failed? It seems to
me, that if somebody could somehow figure this out, and develop a successor,
then that would be the winning PDA. I would love to get in on the ground
floor of such an exercise. :-) Is this something that could be fleshed out
in a unix-based system, even on the desktop? It seems that something should
be moving out there. Yes, the Palm is good, and Microsoft's attempts are
getting better, but they are all lacking the fully-complete feel that the
Newton has, but what is that?

(BTW, I personally don't think that resurrecting the Newton is a viable
option. If you will recall, the deep under-the-hood mechanism of the OS is a
mess, and probably not well-suited to updating, forgetting the fact that the
people who wrote it are long gone, and their expertise is of no use to
deciphering what's in there...) :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams