Re: [NTLK] Newton really the best PDA anymore?

From: good-dog_at_northshore.net
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 07:23:01 EST

Marco Mailand wrote:

> > With the IPAQ ( the newest one ) I am now wondering if the newton is
> really the best PDA anymore.
> I've seen an iPaq recently for about 15min in a dark irish pub in CH and was
> quite impressed with the HWR in PocketWord (?). Only there, as I understood,
> one can use a real intelligent HWR which learns your chicken scratch.

I experimented with a friends Vadem, which has, from all I can tell not
ever having seen an ipag, the same HWR as the ipaq. I was impressed with
the fact it translated my writing decently, and that I could actually
write entire words and sentences, unlike with Graffiti, but was bothered
by the fact that it didn't appear to have the capacity to save my
writing in my own hand before translation. If the device didn't
recognize my scrawl, it translated it into whatever it thought it was
and there was no way to move on and come back to it later as one can do
with the newt.

In the newton we can leave our writing 'as is' until we want to
translate it or not. It seems that with these other pocket pc apps that
it immediately translates with no backstepping.

Am I wrongt about this? Have things changed since the Vadem?

Mark