Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 08:27:57 EST

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:25:29PM +0100, Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 31-10-2001 9:13, Michael J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote=
> :
> > A double-blind study conducted by the German computer magazine c't
> > revealed that only very young people could distinguish high-quality MP3
> > tracks from CD tracks, and even they couldn't say which was which. At my
> > age (43) it would be unwise to invest in high-end audio equipment.
>
> Well at 41 I can still pick out blind an original and an CD-R copy, haven't

Excuse me - do you mean your _ears_ can pick the difference between the
original (pressed) CD and the CD-R copy of it? I'd happily trust my
_eyes_ to do that, but unless the CD-copying equipment went through some
special signaldestroying hops (like sampling the CD in analog,
converting it to digital and burning _that_), the CD-R copy of a CD is
identical to the original - at least with concern to the sound data on
it. It's just a bit-for-bit identical digital copy of a digital media.

Now, if you meant the difference between a live concert and a CD
recording of it - no doubt that you can pick the difference. Or even
between a LP and a CD.

Regards,
       Alex.

--
q: If you were young again, would you start writing TeX again or would
   you use Microsoft Word, or another word processor?