[NTLK] AW: Comments on off topic messages of late

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 02:27:04 EST

Great idea!

Johannes

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SlashDevNull [SMTP:SlashDevNull_at_mac.com]
Gesendet am: 10 November 2001 06:23
An: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Betreff: [NTLK] Comments on off topic messages of late

Salutations,

  Well, it seems as if some people are rather upset at the frequency of some
off topic messages.

  Some people think that the list should stay true to the main subject.

  Others think that the list is a discussion group for people with similar
interests that primarily focus on the main subject.

  Both groups have valid points. Some people don't want to have to wade
through messages unrelated to the Newton and others say simply to use the
delete key.

  While I believe all topics should be open for discussion (while
maintaining civility and good manners), I can certainly understand why some
people don't want to have to deal with a shload of messages they are not
interested in.

  After thinking about it a bit, I think I have a solution. And I think it
may suit everyone on the list.

  Every message that starts of topic, or begins off topic, simply put a
'[OT]' somewhere in the subject.

  The people who don't want to read off topic posts can easily set a rule to
look for a '[OT]' in the subject and dump the matching message in the trash.
This way they don't have to wade through dozens of messages they care
nothing for and us off-topicers (?) can discuss what we like.

  NOW, why it may seem us off-topicers can discuss anything, we can.
HOWEVER, we MUST remember to start an off topic thread with the '[OT]' or if
we change a thread to put an '[OT]' in the subject. This responsibility is
us to us.

  And behalf of the off-topicers, if I may, I offer this truce. If we let
an off topic message slip by us without marking it, we will apologize and
not let loose with the rant of 'hey, I'll talk about anything I damn well
feel like'. And we'll promise to do better.

  Does this sound fair to everyone?

David

P.S. While of course, this is off topic. I didn't mark it '[OT]'. I want
everyone's feedback first. :)