Re: [NTLK] {NTLK] Synching to Mac Outlook 2001.

From: Robert Taylor (robtay_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 13:26:35 EST

> From: "Malawi, Hilal" <hmalawi_at_bechtel.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Synching to Mac Outlook 2001.
> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:58:26 -0800
>

> Has anyone managed to synch a Newton to Outlook 2001 for the Mac?
>
> Has anyone tried the Palm and/or PocketPC machines in a Mac environment
> (Outlook 2001, Office 2001,...).
>
> I'm at a point where synchronizing to Outlook names/calendar/email is
> becoming more than just a necessity. I need to know if 1) can Newton do it,
> and if not 2) can the competition do it.

Outlook 2001 doesn't include things like the VB programmability/object model
that make this possible in Outlook XP.

My solution is to use a PC running Outlook XP and sync with that using
Outlink. This does not include email sync. Exchange Server does support POP
IF it's enabled on the server, which would be a way to sync mail using a
Newton (but lots of admins won't enable POP, it's a potential security hole
since NT passwords are thrown around without a lot of encryption enabled).

There is Newtourage (which right now is waiting for the developer to get
through grad school to add more than Names/Contacts sync) and Entourage 2001
syncs with Palm (Entourage X needs Palm to write some Carbon code before
they come out with their conduit)- and there are products that let you sync
Palms directly with an Exchange Server (Extended Systems). Hope this helps.

Rob Taylor
robtay_at_mac.com