Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton really the best PDA anymore?

From: Anton Balaban (antonbal_at_mail.ru)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 14:23:30 EST

James Elliott <rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

:Belka and Strelka went up in 1960 on Sputnik 5 and were
:returned safely after a day in orbit. Strelka later gave
:birth to a day in orbit. Strelka later gave birth to a litter
:of six puppies, one of which was given to JFK as a gift.
 :Laika (Russian for Barker) was alive for a week in
:Sputnik 2 and then the capsule re-entered a few months
:later and burned up, destroying her remains. She was
:not a Laika, but simply a mutt...

Wow! I stand corrected. When I hit "send" I realized that Belka and Strelka were actually the first creatures that safely returned from space. And I thought that names of the previous dogs were "top secret" (communists never reported about accidents and unsuccesfull events). And there is a rumor that even Belka and Strelka are not real names of the dogs :). AFAIK there also were some monkeys and mice before Gagarin. No more OT, I'm shutting up now.

Anton Balaban