[NTLK] Hopefully my last comment about off-topic messages

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 19:44:39 EST

Salutations,

  Please people can we let this topic go?

  We, as a list, are posting more messages about off-topic messages than the
off-topic messages. (Yes, ironically I am adding to the former with this
message)

  Here are a few things I have learned about this list:

       Everyone one here communicates like a mature person.

       Off-topic discussion rarely last more than couple days.

       Off-topic messages always burn themselves out . But bitching
       about the fact that is off-topic keeps it around.

       And the worst thing is that by complaining about off-topic messages
       more off-topic messages are being created.

       Off-topic messages, on this list, are more the most part polite and
       do not drop to name calling.

  The off-topic message threads will stop. They always do.

  But complaining back and forth about them seems to be making this list
less fun to many people.

  So off-topicers, please don't respond unless you have something to add. I
mean don't respond with a 'I agree' or 'No'. If you have something
worthwhile (and I don't mean that in a bad or sarcastic way) then respond
but keep it to a minimum. And yes, I am an off-topicer. And please ensure
that the message has a '[OT]' in the subject.

  And purists, please don't complain unless the topic goes into the second
or third day. And please turn on your filters to remove what you don't want
to see.

  If everyone gives a little, tolerates others' perspective a little, and
dear Lord, holds their tongue a little, maybe we can keep this list
together.

  Everyone is right and everyone seems to want to point it out. This list
is exactly what we make of it.

David