Re: [NTLK] Project Newtonberg?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:13:00 EST

on 11/11/01 7:41 PM, Grant [Tonic Bottle] Hutchinson at grant_at_splorp.com
wrote:

> In a previous message, Jon Glass typed vigorously:
>
>>> Hrm. And I don't seem to have a copy in my archives (unless it's included
>>> in another old FTP site) and it's not in the Web Archive, since it seems
>>> his ISP denied access using good ol' ROBOTS.TXT. Darn.
>>
>> Would it on that archive.net place that was mentioned the other day?
>
> That's the problem that Victor mentions above.
>
> Since the ISP that Rob had the Project Newtonberg site hosted with
> (aa.net) shut out _all_ robots and search engine spiders by using the
> robots.txt file, the Web Archive robots were never allowed to suck down
> and archive the pages from his site. The end result is that there are no
> copies of the site available anywhere (other than with Rob West himself).
> I checked Google's page cache as well... nada.

What about the web archive on 3 CDs that was sold by a guy a couple of years
ago? IIRC, he did the copies of those websites manually, so maybe there is
some chance that the site would still be on one of those CDs... I don't have
it with me, at work, but I might be able to check later tonight, at home, if
nobody has access to it in the meantime...

-Laurent.

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature
to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and
pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most
operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads
to software bloat.