[NTLK] Project Newtonberg and Newton Press discovery

From: John Whitehead (john_at_modestine.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:32:01 EST

Whether or not we manage to revive Project Newtonberg (and I'd very much
like to help) I thought I'd report a discovery I made today with Newton
Press. If it's already common knowledge I apologise, but it came as news to
me.

I was putting together a Newton Book version of the Origin of Species (6th
Edition courtesy of Project Gutenberg). I made it in the Espy font, but that
looked lousy on the Newton so I changed it, using select all and the font
command, to New York (Fancy) and then did a lot of work to get the
pagination right so that chapter openings fell correctly etc. When I
uploaded it to the Newton it looked OK but, disastrously, there were chunks
of text missing at the end of many pages, sometimes two lines long, replaced
by ellipses. I went back to Newton Press and checked out everything I could
think of and finally ended up in the Prefs. Here there is a setting for the
body text which was still set at Espy. I changed this to New York, remade
the package and downloaded it again. All is well (at least all the text is
there, but my chapter openings are thrown out again...). It seems that this
preference has some role in the metrics used for the font, so if you make a
change on the screen to the body text font or size you have to remember to
make a change to the underlying preference as well.

Hope this helps someone. And if anyone wants the Darwin book it's a 2.5MB
email and takes up about 1.3MB on the Newton. It's in MP2000 portrait
format, so no good for earlier Newtons (though it's easily remade if there's
demand...) Drop me a line and I'll mail it when it's finished. If there's a
holding cage for Newtonberg I'll put it there instead.

Best

John Whitehead