[NTLK] [OT] Laika

From: Filmer, Paul E. (pfilmer_at_nsf.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 12:08:18 EST

I can't resist, since this is my specialty...

Laika was not the first creature in space. She was the first _vertebrate_
to orbit the Earth. A scrappy little street dog from the Moscow streets, she
lived up to her name ("Little Barker") barking forlornly for several days in
zero-g until her oxygen ran out. There was no way to get her home, as
re-entry systems were still being designed that would allow a vertebrate to
survive.

Several dogs actually flew on R-7 sub-orbital flights before Laika, and so
technically got into space first.