Re: [NTLK] Small of review of the British Newton Cases

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 01:40:07 EST

Hello,

  I recently ordered the 2 cases they are selling for the 2X00 and I
received them today. There is the skinny on both.

  The071194 is a tight case. Nice leather, not too supple, not to hard.
Has a Velcro side port for access to the PCMCIA cards. Has a hard insert in
the lid to protect the screen. Two small rings on the side for attaching
it. And a thick (wide not deep) 1 1/2" band of elastic which makes it
impossible to drop while carrying or using it. Also the sides of the case
are raised like this

|\ ________________________/|
|__________________________|

It works and feels good.

The other, the 091008 is like a tank. The hard leather exterior is 3/8"
thick. Yes, I measured it. As a matter of fact, ALL of the leather is
3/8". The Newton is very snug in the case and very secure. Also the case
has a locking plastic tab/holster just like the cell phones do. You know
the round tab the slides into the clip on your belt? Same thing here. The
case had a matching belt holder that you can slide you belt through. The
case feels very secure and also has a Velcro attached port for the PCMCIA
cards. I am not kidding about the 3/8" leather. Very hard and it looks
like it could take a lot of abuse (or actually keep your Newton from taking
the abuse). And it uses rivets to secure parts of the leather. And also
has the 1 1/2" elastic strip on the back and the sides are raised a bit.

  Personally I like the first one, but I have 2 of the 'tank' ones. If
anyone wants one of the tank ones, I will sell it for $10 including
shipping.

  If you want a tight case, go for the former. If you may be bouncing your
Newton around a bit, go for the tank.

Cheers,
David