[NTLK] Using my Newton for off-line reading of eZines

From: Sune Lilbęk (sune_at_hsk.dk)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 08:57:02 EST

Dear Newton-users

For years I've been using my Newton for this and that, but as I got
my PowerBook my Newton got laid off for a while. Now, however, it's
back and green, mainly due to a longer backpack holiday I was on in
Asia. My Newton-love is back and strong, and my ethernetcard should
be arriving next week.

Now, when I am at home, it will be online, but when I am on the move,
it won't be. On the move in my daily life means travelling 1/2 hour
by train to/from work. This time I would love to spend reading the
news from my favorite eZines - sorta what I imagine AvantGo provides
for the Palm society. That is - turning the pocket computer into an
electronic newspaper.

What I desire is a program that fetches the low-bandwith news pages
(or parses the highbandwith and removes all graphics and advanced
HTML codes), and gather them for me ready for reading. I would like
them to be automatically updated - maybe when my Newton anyways wakes
up in the night to move it's "to do" entries.

I know that it somehow should be possible with Newt's Cape (talked a
litte with Steve a while back), but I never really got it. Is there a
guide for how to do something this on the net? (I am not currently a
Newt's Cape owner).

Is there other programs that provides a better solution - I noticed a
program called Raissa, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet (my
Keyspan adapter is currently connecting my sisters iBook with her
Epson printer) - will it be able to do the job (and if so, how do I
locate RSS compatible websites?)

I hope you understand my question (and my desire to turn my Newton
into an electronic, automatically updated, newspaper), and I look
forward to your comments!

Kind regards

Sune, Denmark

P.S. Anyone interested in more info on the MadMP3 player for Newton?
If so, I posted some of my correspondance with Eckhart on the danish
eZine "mediamac" - the "interview" is in english:
http://www.mediamac.dk/index.php3?page=news:show,id=6075)