Re: [NTLK] What amazes me about Newt.

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 03:31:51 EST

on 11/17/01 10:27 PM, Christopher Plummer at plumcakes_at_mac.com wrote:

> Apple just didn't make the device well enough to start with. Who wants
> to have to spend extra to get it to work? I wish I could get the
> shareware for much less.

Actually, it is quite useful out of the box. It just makes you be more
creative. :-) Now, there are always some things, such as, when I first
bought my Newton back in 94 or so, I needed email, but didn't want to pay
for both AOL and eWorld, so I paid for Aloha. I didn't like the provided
Pocket Quicken, so splurged for Pocket Money. Not only that, but these are
two extra functions that I can't reasonably expect the Newton to provide out
of the box. Anyway, I used these two additions alone for several months
before deciding that I wanted something for my names and dates. Granted,
this was on a 1.3 OS Newton, but I decided to purchase Action Names. When I
upgraded to OS 2, I went several more months without AN, because the extra
capabilities of OS 2 made it so I didn't really need AN. I was used to
Action Names' interface by then, however, so I eventually installed it.
Since then, however, I've gone back to the built-in apps for everything they
do. I have added only a few extensions, such as the todo font, a pop-up task
menu, and some things like that. Most, of what I've installed is free. I've
found that most of the more expensive stuff, while very nice, is not
absolutely essential to me, and I've even removed some things (like AN) that
I've paid for. I always suggest trying the Newton as it comes for a while
before looking to software. For one, it helps you learn how to use it, for
another, you might just find you don't need as much third-party software as
you thought. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams