[NTLK] OS X requirements, was Windows XP and NCU

From: james richter (paparichter_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 02:47:58 EST

How much space
> does OSX take up?
>
> Hard to tell since there are a lot of invisible
> folders and since I already
> have populated my account with quite a few files. I
> would guess that without
> the developer tools, you're looking at something
> that is definitely less
> than 1 GB, but I could be wrong...

Apple says OS X needs 1.5G of free hard drive space in
their system requirements for OS X. I've had OSX
installed since March (and the Beta before that). I
don't think it's quite as much as 1.5G, but it's
defintely around a Gig. I think a lot of that has to
do with the BSD subsystem. I am not in anyway a Unix
guy, but I do know that upon installation, the
installer gives you a choice of installing the BSD
subsystem--so you can obviously get by without this if
you don't want it. So installing the full package
probably puts you around a Gig.

By the way, it's definitely one of the most worthwhile
uses of a Gig. Especially with 10.1. I obviously
love OSX and sometimes get sad (and nostalgic) when I
boot into OS 9. I do everything in OS X, except
ProTools. And to be able to sync the Newton while in
OSX is the icing on the cake.

Does anyone know if some enterprising developer is
going to write OS X native software to replace NCU2?
I've toyed around with RealBasic, but I'm no
programmer. What would it take to write a simple
program in RealBasic that could replace NCU2 to allow
OSX native syncing? Even with OSX's limited (if any)
native serial port support, there is obviously
ethernet/AppleTalk support. With an Ethernet card in
a 2000/2001, you could easily network in OSX using
AppleTalk or TCP/IP. Having this software would be
great, especially with the OSX native version of Palm
Desktop for Mac being released later this year. I'd
gladly pay for the software.

Any developers out there want to bring the Newton to
native OSX syncing?!

Jim R.

=====
Jim Richter