Re: [NTLK] Hoarding Newtons...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 10:41:42 EST

On 11/19/01 10:26 AM, "rkadowns_at_mac.com" <rkadowns_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hey, I was only being sarcastic with my comment, but since this thread
> keeps sewing, I'll put in my two cents. I agree with Loren really. I
> would stockpile a couple Newtons if I could afford it, however I'm still
> working on my trusty 130, and saving for a 2100, if I can find one that
> isn't overpriced that is. Really, should anyone be paying 300+ bucks
> for a piece of hardware that is no longer manufactured? Maybe if it is
> Mint, and never taken out of the box. That would be a collectors item.
> I saw a Mint condition Lisa (not XL) on eBay with only five bids and a
> week to go and was already priced at $550. But for a used Newt 2x00,
> 300+ bucks is outrageous. However if those with say 4 or more working
> netwons sitting on the shelf collecting dust were to acution those
> extras off on ebay, the price would be more affordable for those still
> using OMP's to 130's. In a perfect world, those already with 2x00's
> would not purchase these and in the end this forum would take on a new
> aura with more users of the same model platform. I enjoy this forum,
> however much of this forum does not apply to me since I have a 130
> therefore it can be difficult to share my input.
>
> But I regress, this is not a perfect world, and that fact is, used Newt
> 2x00's do go for 300+ bucks on ebay anyway. So I will keep saving my
> pennies and try not to be drawn into purchasing an iPaq 3800 series
> jewel when I do have the money.

Yep, the 2x00 at $300 may seems outrageous. But people should remember that
a 2100 cost me $999 when it came out, on November 11, 1997. With the
keyboard, a briefcase, an extra battery, the thing cost me over $1200!!!

So, considering the Newton platform being ahead everything currently
shipping, it seems that $300 is a real bargain. Even more that when I
decided to get a spare for my 2100, the best deal I found at the time was a
2000 (nonp-upgraded) for $400. Add $140 (the price of the upgrade at the
time from David Watson), and that comes to $540. Still, these days, $300
seems to be a real bargain!

-Laurent.