Re: [NTLK] Hoarding Newtons...

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 13:31:21 EST

On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 07:58 AM, Scott C. Gregory wrote:

> Loren Finkelstein wrote:
>>
>> IMHO, it would be better if every die-hard newton user had access to
>> spare
>> parts, or a spare newton for when theirs eventually dies, rather than
>> a lot
>> of new people getting Newton's when they could get Palms or PocketPC's
>> and
>> never know what they missed out on.
>>
>> Selfish? Maybe. But I think it makes more sense.
>
> I resent that! I am a Newton OMP owner, and wish to get myself a 2100
> or a 2000U.
> So what you are saying is, I should toss it out and go buy a Palm, just
> so you can keep all 10 Newton's to yourself. Riiight. I don't
> thinkso. Because of people like you, it is darn near impossible to get
> a 2100. And even then it won't have anything (including a charger or
> bat back) with it.. Not only that, the prices are going way way up.
> If you need 10 Newton's as spare parts. The I would say you are as
> rough as guts with them, and sure as hell don't deserve having a newton
> in the first place..

That wasn't my point at all.

I am not against people who want newtons getting them. I am against
trying to convince people who don't know about the newton that they
should switch to it. There is a big difference.

Someone who has an OMP, or already wants one is essentially already "in
the fold" I just don't think there is any advantage to recruiting new
people into the Newton community.

Except, of course, the benefit of new consumers for our wonderful
developers.

As for the spare parts comment. I was speaking as part of a community.
I am not talking about newton owners hoarding 10 machines for their own
spare parts. But 10 machines available to the community for spare parts
does more good than giving those 10 machines to 10 new people who don't
know how to use a Newton and who might be happy with a palm. Leaving us
dia hard newton owners with no hope if our newtons break.

Loren