Re: [NTLK] Hello from a new Subscriber

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 18:27:14 EST

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 14:43, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Also note that it uses Sloup for comms, which means serial only.

Yah. It can also use lpkg on Linux to install packages directly to the
Dock (at 115200bps, yay), but I haven't looked at lpkg's source closely
enough to know if it's all Linux-specific or vaguely POSIX looking. If
I actually had BeOS ever working, I'd try it there, but I couldn't get
it to play right with my NVidia card, so it went away.

> And the Tk portion is just the GUI (which IMHO sucks)

Hear, hear.

> - all the comms stuff is
> done in Perl, which makes it easy to use from the command line or to slap
> a new interface on it.

Hmmn. Anyone ever done Perl -> Be-GUI bindings? That would be nifty.

There's also a BeOS port of Gtk that's coming along; my little
connection tool might port over once I get it a little saner and
liberate it from some unfortunate Gnome dependencies. So far, tho, all
it can do is install packages.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs