Re: [NTLK] Offline electronic newspaper functionality requested

From: Steven Scotten (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 23:08:22 EST

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:03:35PM -0500, ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com wrote:

> Look at the Book Marks button
>
> When you click that the first choice is "Browse Schedule".
> (note you need to visit and book mark pages you want to download or know the
> URL)
> Check the Book mark you wanna schedule
> Hit the routing ( envelope) button
>
> Chose schedule and schedule it.
>
> You should be able to do several at once.
>
> Its not very hidden.
>
> You have inflamed my overblown ego

Aha! My Ego-Fu is unstoppable!

Seriously, thanks for responding.

So I follow your instructions, and choose schedule from the routing button.
It says, "1 bookmark, Autolink none, Start Date 11/21/01 7:38 pm,
Frequency immediately, and NIE setup default."

I change Frequency to daily, start date to ten minutes from now, and NIE
setup to "DHCP Ethernet". Then push the button at the bottom of the page
that says "schedule" and...

HEY!!!

That worked. There's a little bell next to the bookmark now. That's exactly
what I did before. Weird. AHA!!!!

OK, well, this has been educational. See, I think what I was doing wrong is
that if the time set as the start date is earlier than right now, it doesn't
save your settings. Most of the time I've just left the time set as is, but
I bet that meant that I was setting the date for some time in the past (if
it took more than a minute or a fraction thereof for me to set the settings),
and invalidating the whole request. I will try to be more careful about this
in the future.

Am I correct that there is only one possible schedule setting for all items?
For instance, I can't tell one page to download once a day with a link depth
of zero and another to download once a week with a link depth of three? It
seems that A) when I set one, the "alarm bell " icon for the others disappears
and that B) when I reopen one of the others, they now have the settings set
for the one I've just now set.

OK, I guess now I'm getting picky, but this would be helpful information.
Thanks!

I can't speak for the other guy, but you've made *my* day! Two of my favorite
cartoons are downloading as I type (I think). So I'll just set the link depth
to "one" and have everything download at 5am and make certain that Newt gets
plugged in to the power and the ether before I go to bed.

Steve