Re: [NTLK] Spotty Ethernet connections

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 12:37:54 EST

on 11/24/01 11:52 AM, Way at firstvln_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Has anyone had inconsistent connections from a 3com 3xce589dt X-jack or
> 3c589d ethernet card to their Mac Powerbook (Pismo 400)? I have tried both
> cards
> and recently the UMP2000 has trouble finding the computer. I'd say it
> connects about 10% of the time. Set up has always been the same.
> sometimes a reboot of both the Newt and PB helps, sometimes
> disabling/enabling Appletalk helps, but it is inconsitent. I'm running
> OS 9.0.4.

    I found this to be a problem with my PowerBook 5300 as well. The PB
doesn't have built-in ethernet, so I was using a PCMCIA card. I think the
problem has to do with NCU since NTK seemed to connect without problems.
    I discovered that opening the NCU preferences and closing it before
trying to connect sometimes helped.

Peter