Re: [NTLK] Warning: Dipwad ZDNet Columnist Ahead

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 01:13:28 EST

Hello,

  I've just got back into town and there were 150+ emails! Good
googly-moogly!

  First of all, can we try to keep this maillist somewhat clean and
courteous? Believe me, I was in the Marines for 6 years so there is NOTHING
I can read or hear that will shock me. However, there is a time and place
for everything and I really don't think this list is the place for saucy
language.

  Second of all, don't attack this guy. What good is it gonna do to call
this guy every name in the book? After he gets to the first insult he is
gonna delete the message. Rather than attack him or the mag, (Yes I know
Ziff-Davis is firmly in the Wintel camp) why not explain to him what the
Newton can do? Don't say he is wrong because...

  Third of all, he is right. The original Newton sucked. Bad. Really bad.
Ask anyone what they know about the Newton, and the few that remember will
say 'Doonesbury'. The Newton did not even come into its own until the 2k.
Sure, the 130 was useable BUT Apple pushed and pushed the HWR which sucked
(and sucked quite slowly) until the 2k. And sure there are some people who
are quite useful with the OMP~130. But then again, even a broken clock is
useful twice a day.

  All of the emails in the world arguing with him and smearing him will do
nothing but solidify his thinking and prevent anyone from reasoning with him
later because he thinks all Newton users are rabid and impolite.

  Sure we should send him emails telling him what an incredible tool the
Newton is. Sure we should show him that the Newton did and does things 4
years ago that even now PDAs can not do. Or we can string him upside down
and disembowel him in front of ZD HQ. But only 2 of these things will do
any good.

Cheers,
David