Re: [NTLK] Newton Dreams

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 10:08:25 EST

>>On 11/25/01 @ 05:32, Sushi wrote:
>>
>>Today, I saw an iPod up close and personal and played
>>with it for quite a while.
>>
>> Observations:
>> - Great sound
>
>On 11/25/01 @ 11:24 PM, Oliver Brose wrote:
>
>I could not get my hands on one yet, I don't even know
>if they are already released in Germany. I want one,
>but it has to be *loud*, *very loud*, as I don't use
>noise-shaping headphones. Did you test that? How loud
>does it go? Maybe that's a stupid question, my
>definition of "loud" matches other peoples definition
>of "unbearable"...

My comment was directed more to the sound quality. And just like with
various CD's, you could definitely tell how good the encoding/source was.
 In some cases it was crystal clear. In others, it sounded like a tape.

When I encode my own MP3's, I use 256K, Stereo, 44.1K which takes roughly
2MB per minute of music. So the iPod would hold a little over 41 hours
of music.

The display model had a set of small folding headphones of the type
commonly seen on train riders over here. I didn't notice the brand,
model, nor impedance. I do know that they were non powered, non
amplifying.

The iPod seemed to drive them to a level that was louder than I wanted to
listen.

However, that level may not be loud enough for you.

I would wait and take one for a test drive first before you buy.
Especialy if the degree of loudness is a critical criteria for you.
While the iPod did go to a level that was too loud for me, based on what
I gleaned from your scale, the iPod may not be loud enough for you.

Sorry that I can't be more difinitive.

Sushi