[NTLK] [OT]iPod (Was Newton Dreams)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 03:15:32 EST

>On 11/27/01 @ 4:24 PM, Mikebridg of aol.com wrote:
>
>>In a message dated 27/11/01 4:07:24 am, Sushi_at_ragingbull.com writes:
>>
>>Only if you do not take the decoder issue in account.
>>The iPod generates a constant whine at 2.8 or 5.6khz
>>(not everybody notices it though)
>
>I got myself a Xmas present of an Ipod at the Macusser
>Show in London. It's Magic and so far I love it - Haven't
>notices any whine, but then I am 67 and have some high
>pitched Tinnitus. How loud do you have it? I find about
>75% onthe scakle is right for me. What level of
>compression do you use? I have it on the second best and
>the sound is really great.

Uh, I didn't write the quoted material above. Rather, Eckhart Koeppen
(eck1000_at_gmx.net) did.

I personally do not have an iPod and have only tried the demo model in a
store. I did not notice the whine. Eckhart has since provided
additional information so I will have to check the iPod out again in the
future to see if I can hear it.

As for encoding MP3 music, I use 256K, True Stereo and 44.1K.

Although, with the iPod's huge storage capacity, assuming a AIFF file (CD
format) is about 10MB per minute, you can store about 8 hours of music.

One of my favorite CD's for checking sound systems is Lee Ritenour's, "On
the Line" album.

I have not tested the iPod with it, but will have to give it a try next
time -- maybe both in AIFF and MP3 format.

Sushi