Re: [NTLK] NTK plus OS X.1 serial port - how?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:58:33 EST

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 06:26 , Mike O'Brien wrote:

> A week or two ago, I saw a neat message go by that I should have
> saved. Grotting through the Newtontalk searchable archive failed to
> turn
> it up (alas).
>
> Someone sent in a short message that said they ran a USB-to-serial
> adapter plus a third-party application that created an imaginary serial
> port in the OS, which NTK was then able to use. It was not a Keyspan
> adapter, and as best I recall, the application was third-party and not
> associated with the adapter manufacturer.
>
> Does anybody recall this message? What were the details?

That was Sushi telling me about the option to have a serial port unit
installed into an iMac. However, this might only be for older iMacs,
though. The unit interfaces with circuitry that is already on the iMac's
logic board (or at least used to be there on older iMacs). I wouldn't be
surprised if this circuitry was only there in the early iMacs because
Apple wasn't yet so sure if the ommission of serial ports would be
accepted and if they had abandoned this backout route on the later
models.

In any event, there are no drivers for serial ports (that is to say
other than USB) in OSX, so even if you upgrade your iMac with this unit,
you won't be able to access it under OSX at all (unless that is you
write yourself a driver for it, in case you are the kind of guy who can
do that).

The Kingston USB to serial adaptor however does have drivers for OSX
even though they are still experimental (beta). However, Kingston don't
support AppleTalk over serial at all (even not under OS9).

I have a friend who tried to link up his MP130 using the Kingston
adapter and couldn't get it to work, but Sushi said that he had once
managed to get a Palm to connect using the Kingston adapter. YMMV.

hth
rgds
BK