Re: [NTLK] Apple won't fix my Newton!!!

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 13:13:44 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 11/27/01 12:55 PM, the entity known as Loren
Finkelstein at Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net conveyed the following:

> Here's an update.
>
> Apple claims the following.
>
> The $190 repair program is only for defective machines and has nothing at
> all to do with damages caused by dropping it. I told the guy he didn't know
> what he was talking about and that there have been reports of dozens of
> Newton owners getting broken (dropped) Newtons repaired or replaced.
>
> He held to his guns and also said that they don't have replacement Newtons
> to send out anymore.
>
> Finally, he said that the repair team said my Newton was so damaged that
> they couldn't repair it to working order without replacing it. I then spend
> 5 minutes "politely" explaining how it was in working order when I sent it,
> just with a scratched screen and cracked case.
>
> At this point he really wanted to get off the phone with me, but I wouldn't
> let him hang up, or send me my broken newton back, until he promised to
> contact the repair people (he's just customer interference) to make sure it
> still worked at least as well as it did when I sent it in.
>
> Loren

Sounds like you need to buck it up to a supervisor. Although, if they don't
have any around for replacement, you may just get a "Yes, you're right,
but..."

- Eric.