Re: [NTLK] USB-001 ??? Posible ?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:08:51 EST

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 12:05 , rkadowns_at_mac.com wrote:

> Possible, yes. Whether or not David has the time or the equipment to
> program Firmware is another story. Design it to identify itself on the
> USB chain as a USB Palm Connect device and walla, you have pre-written
> drivers. Do the same for the Keyspan USB to serial adapter and you have
> OSX drivers.
>
> Easier said than done, I know.

Of course.

But anyway, if this is feasible, there may be a way. How many people are
on this mailing list ? How many active Newton MP2K users are out there ?
How many of those don't want to go Palm and rather keep their Newton up
to date with current technology upgrades, like for example, WiFi and
USB, perhaps Bluetooth ?

If -say- 250 Newtonians were willing to spend 100 USD on a USB port incl
of drivers, then that would make a budget of 25000 USD to develop it,
make a batch of 250 and ship them.

Perhaps this isn't enough, perhaps there isn't that much demand for it.
I don't know, but would it not be worthwhile to find out ?

Any opinions on this ?

Oh, BTW, there is a nice anecdote to tell. When the holding of Rolls
Royce was to put up their car business for sale, there was a consortium
put together made up of Rolls Royce owners in order to place a bid and
save the Rolls Royce brand from foreign car makers. The bid was quite an
essential sum, but the holding company didn't believe that passion for
the brand was a solid base to ensure the future of Rolls Royce cars and
so they sold to BMW instead. However, this might be an inspiration to us
who love to continue to use a Newton to consider to become more active
in ensuring that Newtons wont fade away when Apple stops repairing them
eventually, at least not before a worthy successor turns up.

I know an Austrian guy here in Tokyo who used to run a second hand Leica
camera business. (For those who don't know, the Leica, made by Leitz in
Germany is the Rolls Royce of 35mm cameras). Anyway, the Japanese are
eager collectors of old fashioned cameras in particular the Leicas and
this chap ended up sending old cameras to Germany for repair. Eventually
he was faced with Leitz closing this repair business and throwing out
the machinery the parts were made on. He jetted to Germany to visit
Leitz and he bought the whole "junk" machine park. Now he is running
several Camera clinics here in Tokyo where he manufactures spare parts
on the original machines the parts were made in the first place and
restores old Leicas beautifully. Leitz in Germany now send old cameras
to him for restauration and repair.

I think most of the readers on this list will agree if I say that the
Newton is the Rolls Royce of PDAs. If I read about Apple presumably not
fixing Newtons for much longer and starting to run out of spare parts, I
think this may be reason to worry and it may be time to do something
about it. Maybe it is possible to obtain a license to the Newton designs
under the premise that any production can only apply to existing units
i.e. no new units may be sold for any other purpose than to replace an
old unit.

Yup, it is probably going to become more expensive at some point to
have/maintain/upgrade a Newton, but until there is another user friendly
and capable PDA coming out, which I don't anticipate any time soon, what
choice do we have ? There is also reason for concern about installed
base. The fewer Newtons there are in use, the less likely it will be
that new shareware will be developed or upgraded. An intiative to keep
the number of Newtons alive and well would do us all a good service.

regards
BK