Re: [NTLK] USB-001 ??? Posible ?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 05:19:18 EST

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 07:50 , Benjamin wrote:

> I think making a Serial to USB cable is better than building a USB port
> right into newton, because if it uses USB then what should I do with my
> newton Keyboard ......

Sell it to a MP120 owner and get yourself a USB keyboard instead.

As far as I am concerned, I don't want any legacy ports if it can be
avoided.

I was pleased by Apple abandoning serial for USB, Floppy for Zip and
SCSI for Firewire.

We wouldn't want to have an interface to a hole-puncher/reader, would
we ?

Getting rid of punching holes into cards for storage was getting out of
the stone age of computer technology. Magnetic core memory, well that
was the iron age. Casette/floppy/parallel/serial that's bronze age in my
view. Ok, we may settle for medieval age, but not any further.

So how long before we can leave the medieval age of computer technology
behind us for good ?

I say, get rid of that serial port and replace it with a modern day USB
port if it is possible to do so.

rgds
BK