Re: [NTLK] Feedback on NewtFTP

From: c (mici_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 06:07:35 EST

> Is anyone using NewtFTP? I really don't care too much about=20
> not being
> able to backup. That is what the flashcard is for.

i use NewtFTP mainly to transfer packages, some documents too. nice=20
thing for remote web development as you can pull the needed page,=20
make changes and upload it back on server.

> But does NewtFTP really allow you to do everything except backup?

you mean transfer packages or documents? yes. almost everything. my=20
problem for one is encoding but that is a specific problem as i'm=20
using exotic encoding... not possible using NewtFTP.

> Is it stable? Have enough features? Updated in the past few years?

stable if enough of heap is available. not updated in years though.

> Does this mean that I can start the FTP server on Mac OS X and=20
> never have
> to go into classic mode for NCU? Of course, I have to start=20
> classic for
> 'PackType' but surely someone can write something in applescript=20
> that would
> do the same thing without starting classic. :)

yep. btw, you don't even need classic & pack type, for instance use=20
Super Get Info and just change the type and creator to "pkg " (yes,=20
with the space), "1NCU". and for the lazy of us, Packager (=E0 la=20
PackType, defaulting to NCU) for Mac OS X is at=20
<http://metastasis.net/people/mi(c)i/download/>. Sorry for lack of=20
accompanying documentation but it's too late and Packager is pretty=20
easy to figure out anyway.

--
Michael Vacik
mici_at_mac.com