Re: [NTLK] MAD and NHttpLib progress

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_StreamServe.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 09:44:52 EST

Eckhart Koeppen wrote:
> Streaming is difficult, I do get really good results at home but at
> work, the connection is strangely pretty bad and chokes. The
> little test
> app now shows the status of the streaming buffer. It should
> be above 25%
> for decent playback. The streaming buffer is allocated on the default
> store and is currently 240k.

A question about this- you're using the store to buffer the incoming data?
It may be that I'm just being paranoid, but I'm a little worried about
constantly writing to my flash memory. I don't know how you're doing this,
but if I make some random guesses (let's see... how about writing when 32K
has been accumulated, listening to a 128Kbps stream...) we can do an almost
meaningless analysis: it would take 5 hours of listening to write 10,000
times. Okay, maybe it's not _so_ bad... but it does add up.. I've seen
reference to the C++ heap being limited, but it seems like it ought to be
fairly spacious on a 2100, given that so little of the additional memory
goes to NS heap. Anyway, take this to be advocation for the option to
buffer in memory instead of on store...
Keep up the great work! It's awesome that this is becoming a reality-

-Sam