Re: [NTLK] SBM Utilities

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 08:56:45 EST

------------------
>Do many people use SBM Utilities f=B8r Newton ?

Lots.
----------------
>Does anyone know what cleaning is for and what exactly it does?

'Cleaning' shows what's software stuff is leftover from deleted pkgs. and =
frozen pkgs. It also allows to 'hide' needed stuff as 'exceptions'. It =
allows to delete stuff you never knew in your Newt. but don't delete stuff =
you don't know(it might be reg. strings for a frozen pkg.).
----------------
>What does doctor do ?

Goes thru the software and helps to 'fix' minor things.
----------------
>Is it safe ?

Doctor is safe, Cleaner can save/ruin your day.
----------------
>Is it effective ?

Yup. Got rid of old conflicting modem strings.
---------------
>Does it worth the bother ?
>
>Cheers, Denis

Yup, if you understand what and why Doc./Clean. is used for.

My main uses of SBM Utilities are...
1. Getting rid of stuff leftover after deleting software I tried but =
decided not to keep.
2. Making card-to-card backups. Don't need to connect to desktop/laptop =
just for a backup, great on the road.
3. Making more than one backup on a card. For different days and one big =
card with internal backups from two or more Newts.
4. Moving/deleting pkgs. and soups.
5. Device Info. also gives you more info. on the Newt. and usable =
memory/modem cards.
6. 'Recent' allows access to built-in functions that are not regularly =
allowed.

It's worth it!

BTW, on kagi.com, SBM's *specials*(IIRC) allows to buy Utilities and some =
other pkgs. for a bundle price.