[NTLK] Newton 2002

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 13:23:27 EST

> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:49:06 +0900
> Subject: [NTLK] Newton 2002
> From: BK <bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
>

> I'd be interested to hear what other Newtonians think how a Newton model
> of 2002 would look like, what features it would have and so on.

Here we go again ;)

> What kind of a Newton would it be ?
>
> - Would it seek to set a new trend, something revolutionary, like
> built-in Via-Voice etc ?

It would not be a Newton if it was not revolutionary.
MP2100 goodies (real-size pen, basic software, excellent OS, etc.) are given
as standard.

Make this a Newton 2003

Built in:
- improved HWR
- CellPhone (GPRS/UMTS), with (wireless) headset, internal antenna, Iridium
(how do they call that by now?) optional with an external antenna.
- Camera
- FireWire2 (for iPod access ;))
- iPod2 compatible. iPod2 features a 20GB HD and a 20h battery, MP can take
advantage of that battery via FireWire.
- USB(2)
- VGA/FBAS-out (miniport)
- InfraRed/Bluetooth
- AirPort2, internal antenna
- Any up to date cardslot
- Speech recognition
- 256MB RAM
- 333Mhz processor
- LiPoly battery, or better, hot swappable, obscene capacity
- Fingerprint/Voiceprint/Breathprint sensor instead of PIN
- Display-door, detachable, built in Li-battery charged from the main
battery, when disconnected using bluetooth to exchange data with MP, as..
..there is a sensor-keyboard on the inside! Internal antenna.
- Door may also feature a scanner
- JOG-dial and/or Thumbstick (troublesome! Where to put it?!)
- Display may be something SciFi, maybe real 3D. This could e.g. help
working with a database and organizing files, enhance games/VR-content.
- backside features some sort of strapping mechanism, to attach the MP to
belt/arm/clothes.
- OS to feature *everything*, peer-to-peer with any given computer,
especially the "homebase", Quicktime, teachable remote...
- Optional "SE" display-door. SE door features its own display (smaller,
lower res, no BL, no color) 2MB RAM, 33Mhz processor, battery, bluetooth.
The display would make it a little thicker than the standard door. There
would be a smaller click-in stylus in it. The SE auto-syncs
names/dates/selected notes with the MP. It can be used as a shirtpocket-PDA
(mass appeal), but also as an extension to the MP (dual screen). Standard
D-door and SE can be clicked together, all three parts can be used at the
same time.
E.g. you could climb up a ladder in a library, scan a book with the
standard-d, data is stored in the MP on the table, but also appears on the
SE, and you can cut out what is not needed right there on the ladder.

> And how would you like it to be (realistically) ?
>
> - Should it be smaller or larger, same size but slimmer ?

Screen: Same size, doubeled resolution, color(16bit).
Case: Slimmer, still with a palm-rest on top and bottom, but "a little less"
all around, but not too much.
Weight: Less, but still enough to feel good, well balanced.

> - Should it have the same format ? colour screen ? dark green case or
> silver like the iBook ?

I guess it should be made of something super-durable. Safe plastic, or
titanium. There should still be an anti-slip coating though, on some
relevant parts of the case.

> And how would those features be realised ?

By Apple ;)

> How much would it cost ?

A kidney, possibly two.

> Would it be well received ?

Apple expands it's market share to 60% within three years, as some people
still just want a digital datebook.

Just what's on my mind,

Oliver :)

--
Die Lieblingsfrage der Deutschen lautet: Darf man schon wieder lachen?,
nicht: Darf man schon wieder denken?

Roger Willemsen in "Die Woche"