Re: [NTLK] Krimson?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 23:23:59 EDT

I remember back in the rotary days, we could fool a
phone to dial by clicking the hook off and on quickly!
I found that certain staccatto patterns would allow
phone calls from pay phones as well (like early to mid
'70s)
I've got a little application on my Newt 2k called
"Phoney" by the "armchair hacker" (no further credits
given) that seems to do what you are talking about.
But this one goes one step further. You have a screen
with currency on it and when you hit a say...quarter,
it would make the tones necessary to refund a
quarter...there's nickel, dime and dollar as well!
Plus there is straight DTMF, and BLUE box tones.
It's a lot of fun to play with...just wish it still
worked on today's phone systems!
I don't remember where I got it, but like everything
else, it's probably on UNNA.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Mark Ross <markross13_at_home.com> wrote:

> >Who was it who had a copy of Krimson? If you could
> hit me off list
> >and send it to me it would be appreciated. I am
> going to be doing a
> >presentation at school on phone phreaking and to be
> able to
> >demonstrate what I am talking about would score
> some major points.
> >Also, since they upgraded the system, it can't even
> be used, right?
> >
> >-James
>
> That is correct, Kimosabe. The old phone system
> used to respond to
> tones. There is an old legend that may be true
> about a give away whistle
> in Capt'n Crunch cereal boxes that could set off the
> long distance trunks
> and allow a free call. Phone phrekers these days
> are extremely
> sophisticated with lots of equipment. I read an
> article about them in
> Wired some months ago.
>

> Mark Ross
> markross13_at_home.com

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...