Re: [NTLK] Flash Memory card > 32 Meg?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 11:13:27 EDT

> I am thinking of purchasing a Flash memory card of 160MB. However, in the
>Planet Newton FAQ, it states that the largest Flash memory card is 32MB.
>
>Is the FAQ wrong or do they mean the largest that the Newton can use is
>32MG?

I guess you're talking about this very old copy of the FAQ.
Everything it says (or nearly) about memory cards is wrong. I sent
PlanetNewton the new version of the FAQ every month (and I think I'm
still sending it), and they didn't update their copy.
Please consider rather newer versions, e.g. on Grant's website:
http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/

However, please note that technically speaking, the NewtonOS has a
driver for some cards (cf the FAQ for which, it depends on the model
of your Newton) and none of them can be bigger than 64 MB. There are
linear cards which are 128 MB using not only the memory space of PC
Cards (this space is limited to 64 MB) but moreover another space (I
don't recall which, maybe the register space). Anyway, all that to
say that if you saw a 160 MB card, it's very probably an ATA card.

AFAIK, there is only one driver for ATA cards on the Newton and it
doesn't work pretty well yet.

Paul

--
Non au terrorisme.
Non à la guerre comme réponse au terrorisme.