[NTLK] Email & response from PowerON software about Now Up to Date

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 12:24:54 EDT

Hello,

  OK, I know that I am relatively new to the Newton community but I can't
help but to think that the vast majority of Newton users would LOVE to have
the same 'click a button' to sync their desktop PIM's info with their Newton
that the Palm users have had for a while.

  I realize that there are all kinds of 'exporting into this' then
converting into that' and small utilities that sort of do the job. And I
know that people are making use of these everyday. I view many of these
utilities the same way I view a spectacular set of headphones. It doesn't
matter how wonderful the headphones sound, if they are uncomfortable then
they will receive minimal use.

  However I think that Newton users are at a rare opportunity to push for
the Newton's cause. Companies are releasing software of a new OS (OS X)
that does not have the large market share that they are used to dealing with
(OS 9). So they are are going to need to find a way to spark sells. I
think this is a way we can raise the importance of Newton users.

  I may be totally off on this. As I said, I am new to the Newton
community. I just think Newton users have a real chance to get a current
PIM, that runs on OS X, and has real sync capability.

  Any feedback?

Thank you,
David

Below is my Email to PowerON and their response.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center.
Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Please do NOT reply to this email message. If you need to reply to our
response, please click the link below to your incident and update your call
ticket online.

If it is the first time you have logged into our support site, use your
email address as the User ID and leave the Password field blank. You can
update your profile to include a password once you have logged in.

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours we will assume your issue below
has been resolved.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Power On Software, Inc.

Subject
Newton Synchronization

Suggested Answer
At 10/09/2001 08:36 AM we wrote - Thanks for the suggestion! I will pass
along your comments to the Quality Assurance and Development staff for
future consideration. If you have any other ideas, comments, and or
suggestions regarding future updates, please feel free to email us at
suggestions_at_poweronsoftware.com .

Kind Regards,

The Technical Support Team
Power On Software, Inc.

Question
Hello,

  I was wondering if it would be possible to add Newton syncronization to
NUDC? I know that up until v3.9 it was possible to sync with a Newton with
a Now add-on. There is a large Newton user group that is still very much
active and I know that many of them need a personal PIM that they can use
with OS X and can sync with their PDA.

  I know the easy answer would be to simply say that there is not enough
demand for that feature. But I know that if you include Newton syncing that
you would have 100% of the Newton user's business, including mine. And
these users are fiercely loyal users who do not mind spending money on a
quality product. For proof, a used Newton routinely goes for considerably
more than a new Palm or (shudder) a WinCE machine.

  So if there is any way that I can help, petition or what not, please let
me know. If you would only re-active this feature you would have a virtual
monopoly of the most loyal Apple users.

Thank you,
David Puett

Question Reference #011008-000088