Re: [NTLK] How to use the kallisys dictionaries%26In-Reply-To=%26lt;f05100302b7e65d7d0c7f@[10.0.1.51]>

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:37:37 EDT

>To Poul

Paul, with an A.

>I am sorry that I used your name in the Title, using a news list is
>something new for me.

Actually, it's more a Usenet rule than a mailing list rule.

>I have now installed alt.reg.

The proper name is "alt.rec...."

>which is another piece of fantastic software, and this gives me some
>idea of which words are in the dictionary, since my Newton now
>writes "misspelled" words in a different font.

Indeed.

>There is some very ordinary words, like "maybe, sunshine, best"
>"måske, solskin, bedst" that the dictionary does not recognize.

None of them are in the word list that I've been sent. I'm not
responsible for this word list:

bedrøver
bedt
mårup
måtte
solrød
soltag

>"ing is in the DictDK, apparently it's a mistake. It means that the
>spell checker will make propositions which may seem weird".
>

>Does that simply mean that the word "ing", which does not exist in
>the Danish vocabulary is in the dictionary?

Yes.

>I found that the words "udle" and "udve" seams to be in the
>dictionary, those words are as far as I know not in the Danish
>vocabulary, but I figured that it might be because there is quit a
>few words that begins with "udle" and "udve", and that they have
>been but in the dictionary for that reason.

No. They're in the dictionary because it's what I've been sent.

>Finally you write that the Danish users are responsible for finding
>the list and reducing the list to 30K words. What is the reason for
>reducing the list, the speed of use, or the time it takes to make
>the list, or the amount of storage used on the Newton?

Actually, it's Toke who was responsible for reducing the list, and as
I understand it, the other two authors of the list are Danish as well.

The reason is indeed storage and also ability to build the list. I'm
not sure I can build dictionaries larger than 60 K words, although I
agree to try (however, as it takes more twice the time to build a
dictionary with 60 K words than 30 K, all this time when it locks
both my Newton and the mac, you'll understand that I don't do it
daily).

>I would think that the dictionary is the sole most important part of
>the Newton, and I would gladly help type down another 30000 words,
>if that it is needed. Would it help if Danish Newton users collected
>mistakes, like the "ing", so that if it a one time should become
>possible to make a revised edition, it would be without the mistakes
>of the first edition?

Er. I'd prefer to just have a text files, preferably encoded in mac
roman but anything is fine, with one word per line. I don't think I
gonna play at removing words and so on. I can send you the list Toke
sent me if you want to do corrections, though.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/