Re: [NTLK] Quoting Limits

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 20:28:28 EDT

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:26:59 +0200, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> on 17-08-2001 6:39, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> > 1) The rules are only enabled if a message is over 100 lines long
> > 2) If the largest quoted *BLOCK* makes up at least 95% of the entire
> > message, then the message will be rejected.
>
> Thanks Victor, will at least filter the worst cases out, I personally
would
> say that 50 lines would do as well though.

OK! Going by the percentage seems sound enough and some of the
long quoted messages need to be trimmed but more in the interest
of clarity than length per se!
The matter is that, when you have writers 1 & 2 in full speight
writer 3 removes whatever from either but only within the context
of the one or *more* sub threads that may have arisen and it's
always good to keep the sense of flow and consistancy: it's cool
when you have the feel of a conversation developing.
What I */hate/* is when a mailer gets back to me mulling over a
"question" when the relevant information was spelled out in some
previous mail.
As for those that download to the newt its more a matter of how many mails
you expect to grab at a single session: reading the headings before getting
each message and being able to check the file size at the same time would be
perfect! C U later! </;-) John J.